Saturday, September 6, 2008

Dishwasher Update #1

Wednesday after I posted about my dishwasher I spent 45 minutes, most of which was on hold, with Best Buy trying to determine the current status of my dishwasher. Finally I was told that my part was in! The soonest they could come out was Saturday. I was beyond frustrated.

"You're telling me that you have my part, didn't bother to call me and now the soonest you can come is Saturday even though today is Wednesday? And after I've waited WEEKS???"

The woman on the other end of the phone could really careless about my plight and told me that was soonest a repairman would be available. Defeated I said "Fine, just please fix my dishwasher."

So bright and early this morning I eagerly awaited a phone call because I was told they would call between 7-9 am and would show up between 12-3 pm. But 9:00 am came and went and no phone call. By about 11:45 I'm somewhat concerned. What if Mike the Repairman or his Discombobulated Sidekick Myles aren't coming at all? What if my service call is taking the same fate as my part-- lost somewhere. So I called Best Buy.

I have the number memorized and all the prompts memorized too. 1-888-237-8289, prompt 1 for English, then prompt 3 for speak to someone on the phone, remain on hold for extraordinarily long time, talk to person and tell them its about an appliance repair, go to system where I'm asked for my zip code, hold again for long time until I speak to someone who asks me if I'm calling about a TV or an appliance. Often I'm then placed on hold again because this person should be able to access my file so they send me off somewhere else where so far I have been disconnected 5 times out of 6 that I have gotten this far. And that's usually after being on hold for about 20 minutes. Fun times.

But today I got to person #2 who apparently COULD access my file today. She told me that a repairman WAS scheduled and then put me on hold to determine when he would be there. Finally she came back and she told me he would be there at noon. The time was 12:17. Whatever. I was in the system and today it only took me 30 minutes to get that information.

Ronnie, a new face, shows up around 1:10. He asks me what error code the dishwasher was showing before. I tell him that its been so long I really have no idea, I can't remember. I show him the card that Discombobulated Myles left and Ronnie says "Uh, oh, you need a part."

Say what?

Ronnie has no part. Yes, you read that right. Literally FIVE WEEKS since Discombobulated Myles came there IS STILL NO PART. However, Ronnie is the first person through out this entire farce to actually show some sympathy about my situation. He left me his personal cell phone number and told me if I hadn't heard anything by THURSDAY to call him and he will try to find out what's going on. Thursday, by the way, will be 6 weeks since my dishwasher went out. But who's counting?

So now I am in a very, VERY, VERY crabby mood. I can not emphasis the crabbiness enough. It is so palpable that when my boys came home from the movies they instantly knew that all was not well. And I hate that. I hate that Best Buy has the power to affect my mood like this.

Am I asking for the moon here? I have tried to be very nice and understanding and even tried to find the humor in it but I'm beyond humor. All I want is a working, functional dishwasher.

I'm thinking about taking my receipt up there tomorrow and asking for a full refund, a refund for the installation because why should I pay for installation of something that doesn't work, and a refund for the extend warranties I got on my washer and dryer that I purchased from them about the same time. I can assure you that it will be a cold day in Hades before I call Best Buy for service again.

What do you all think I should do? I am really trying not to let this get to me but 5 weeks, 7 phone calls for a length of at least 3 1/2 hours, and one in person visit haven't fixed the problem. I'm just tired of dealing with it.

6 comments:

Donna said...

Denise, let me say that I used to work at Best Buy and we gave refunds on EVERYTHING. Camcorders people had for 6 months, TVs that had been dropped. Once a couple was taking a frig home in their own truck and they did not have any plans to tie it down. Our manager warned them that it would fall and even warned them that there would be no refund if it did. Well, they drove right out of the parking lot and it fell out ON THE STREET. Guess what?!? Refund! All they did was call corporate office when our manager didn't back down.

I say march in there and ask for a full refund for the entire thing. Tell them to come pick up the crappy dishwasher. Document the entire story in a nicely written letter and ask to speak to the store's general manager. If they won't take it all back with a full refund, call corporate in MN.

Things have changed there since I left many years ago but I bet you can get a refund if you try hard enough. Then just go to Conn's, Circuit City, somewhere else and get a new one. Best Buy's service sucks.

Good luck!
Donna
mom to Lena and Macey

Jenn said...

I would totally make a big fuss! There is no reason for service like that. I would also let them know that it is their last chance to make it right before you call the Better Business Bureau as well as that you blog it and people read it.

I also think bringing in the basket full of dirty dishes and loading the models may be effective...I laugh just thinking about it! Make sure you bring the little ones in to help you :) Kidding, but boy doesn't it bring up a funny image!

Anonymous said...

Denise,
I am a nice layed back person, but there is so much one can take. I would give them back their defected dishwasher and go get myself another one. I would explain to them the reasons why and do it in a nice Christian manner. This is crazy and no one should have to go through this. They are fortunate that you are not some hot head and going off on them.
God bless,
Carrie

Denise Grover Swank said...

Donna,

Thank you so much! I will write it all up in a letter and march up there this afternoon.

Thanks!
Denise

Denise Grover Swank said...

Carrie,

I'm usually a very laid back person too. I think that's part of the reason I'm upset, I hate feeling like this. But in this case, I believe I'm justified!

Thanks to everyone for their support! Its nice to know I'm really not being unreasonable here.

Denise

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh, Denise. I am finally getting caught up after my busy week and being out of town for the weekend. What a mess. I hope that Best Buy finally comes through. I would have done the paper plate thing too, in a heartbeat!!!! I have done that for company also---well, with people I know really well. :-)

I hope everything improves very rapidly! Please keep us posted on the outcome. I have not bought any huge purchases from Best Buy. This makes me leery about doing it at all----not that I have any money to buy anything anyhow!!!!