Thursday, February 19, 2009

Winners and Crack Recipes

Who knew that Rice Krispy treats were so popular? For inquiring minds like JD, I make mine on the stove top. I've never tried the microwave, although I am intrigued. For those of you who have never made them, they are incredibly easy. In fact, I have been known to make them in the morning at 7:00 while I was packing Ross' lunch when I realized that I needed something for his lunch.

Here's my TOP SECRET recipe, or not so secret. I got it off the side of a Rice Krispy box. This is how pathetic my recipe organization is: I literally tore it off the box and used to pull out the box piece when I made them. Now I have it memorized.

Crack Bars
1/4 cup of butter
4 cups of miniature marshmallows
5 cups of Rice Krispies or Cocoa Crispies

Melt butter, add marshmallows until melted. Add crispies-- stir. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and pat with spoon. I also take a piece of wax paper and pat it down to make it more even. You can either leave at room temperature to cool or place in the freezer or fridge for a fast cool down. Cut into squares (you pick the size, sometimes mine get kind of large: see below) and enjoy! Before I discovered the Cocoa Crispy idea, I sometimes would add chocolate chips or M&M's after I added the cereal.

Those of you who told me that you had never made these before, make a batch and report back to me. Let me know how easy it actually was!

On to a winner. But wait, I'm feeling really generous so how about TWO winners?

***********************************************
Here are your random numbers:

16
35

Timestamp: 2009-02-20 04:16:05 UTC
***********************************************
Commenter #16 :
Kim from Hannah's Family Fun
Kim says she'll use her new mug to drink a cup of tea.

And Commenter #35 :
April at Party of Seven*
April has been sick with a nasty case of bronchitis so a cup of tea will come in handy.


Congrats!!! I have more mugs and honestly I was kind of surprised I had that many people want one, so I'll definitely be doing this again!



*For those who might go back and count, April is commenter #36 however, Brandy commented twice so I threw her second comment out of the counting. Clear as mud?

10 comments:

momma said...

well, congrats to the winners!!

where did you get your mugs made at? i love that idea, but i think first i need to get a blog logo :)

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

So I went to the store on Wednesday and headed to the cereal aisle.
I picked up a box of Rice Krispies and looked for the recipe...but couldn't find one no matter which way I turned the box.

I was planning on paying for brand name cereal so long as the recipe was on the box to save me from having to look it up. Well, Kellogs lost my $3.

I bought the generic but still no recipe. Luckily I remembered enough to get marshmallows.

And now, thanks to you, I don't need to look the recipe up. My boys will be enjoying their first batch of Rice Krispy treats this weekend!

Kristin said...

I must be the worst mom of 3 girls ever to have never made rice krispy treats! I'm going to go to the store in the next couple of days and buy the stuff to make them and report back to you!!

Elizabeth M Thompson said...

I'm shocked to discover there are moms on the planet who have not made rice krispy treats. I thought it was a requirement!

Candace said...

Ok....so I made both kinds last night (original & cocoa crispy) and I have to say my husband LOVED the chocolate treats...however, I am a purist. Actually I think my favorite is the original with peanut butter (just let a couple of tbsp peanut butter melt in with the marshmallows). I'm thinking about tossing in some chocolate chips into the peanut butter ones and seeing how it turns out.

I haven't made rice krispy treats in ages...thanks for the inspiration!

Oh...and I am also interested in where you had your mugs made...love them!

Denise Grover Swank said...

Candace, you wicked, wicked woman! Peanut butter and chocolate chips??? OMG! Gotta go...

Ronnica said...

Your blog is so cute!

I'm definitely a fan of the Rice Krispy treats, though I've never made them. I think it's probably better that way. If I know I can make them, I'd probably make them too often!

Brandy said...

Uh-oh! I almost messed up...I promise I wasn't trying to cheat. Pinkie promise.

The Johnson 5 said...

Denise the mugs look beautiful!! And of course they look even better next to the krispie treat!!

Margaret said...

I love rice crispy treats. I've never had choclate ones, but I have made them with peanut butter and chocolate fudge on top of them.

Come by my blog to enter my week of giveaways. There are 5 posted so far.