Sunday, July 5, 2009

Yes Virginia, There Is Life Without Internet

For two weeks I lived without my laptop. No big deal, right? I had a PC upstairs that I could use but it turned out to not be that easy. It seemed like whenever I went upstairs to use the computer, the children took complete advantage of the lack of supervision. Yeah, not a good idea. But my laptop is back, well my old backup one anyway, and there's no excuse now for my absence, right? But what in the world have I been doing? After the first few days of DTs from interweb withdrawal I found some tasks to fill up my days.

1) I Cleaned

Denise say what? Yes, I clean and organized things you probably never expected me to clean. I cleaned closets (didn't I just do that about 6 months ago?) I cleaned out my garage--washing it out with the hose no less! I even, wait for it... cleaned out my----- car! And shampooed the carpet and floor mats! Say it isn't so! All that cleaning was inside so after awhile it was time to get one with nature, but doing it inside because it's hot outside. How did we do that?

What is inside that oval by Ryan's foot?


Why that would be a dried up toad. How did a dried up toad get in my house and meet it's demise on the carpet in front of the piano? And was it alive before it came into my house or died it get carted in dead? Beats me, but I have a feeling I'll never find out.

Yes, that got cleaned up too. But what else did I do?

2) I figured out what my tattoo will be

Julia's friend Anna came home with us from Tennessee so took the girls to paint pottery. While the girl's painted mugs and purses, I painted a bowl. A bowl that turned out so awesome I was beyond thrilled. On the way home I kept talking about my bowl and how happy I was with it that I was so happy I had decided to get a tattoo of it on my back. Life size. And it's a big bowl. I'll be sure to show you pics. I pick up my bowl on Wednesday and then you can be the judge.

3) I redecorated my bedroom

One thing just kind of lead to another with this project. First it entailed Trace's visiting friends from Tulsa helping move my massively large and heavy armoire up to my bedroom from the garage where it had been sitting for a year. I used to be in my Living Room in Tennessee but it doesn't fit here. With the help of a tape measure I realized that it would fit in my bedroom with about 1.5 inches to spare for ceiling clearance.

But getting the armoire in my bedroom meant rearranging things. So I moved my bed to the opposite wall which changed the entire feel of the room. And then, of course, I had to paint.

It used to be a pale yellow (the yellow in my entire house) but I wanted something cosier. This is Mannered Gold from Sherwin Williams line. There's no pictures on the walls yet and I need another lamp and some accessories but I'm loving it so far.

4) I Traveled

First, I flew to LA to see Carey from Life in The Carpool Lane. Of course, you all knew that. That's when I fell off the World Wide Web Radar. That's when my laptop died. But what you don't know is what we did and you haven't seen pictures.

This is Carey and her son Jack at the park. Astute readers of both of our blogs might recognize that she is at the park taking the photos for one of her Tuesday's Tips for Summer Survival posts. These photos were taken on Friday and posted on her next Tuesday post. Apparently Carey plans ahead much better than I do. I usually wait until the night before. Anyway, there are just too many photos to share in this composite post so look for something in the future that goes into more depth. Suffice it to say that it was a wonderful trip, other than the dead laptop, of course.

But I traveled some more. I traveled to Tennessee to get Julia. Two whirlwind days, 18 hours in a car. Amazingly my children traveled pretty well. Thank God for DVD players and Yo Gabba Gabba. Just sayin'. Also thank God for iPods. (Or should I thank Steve Jobs? Whatever.) I listened to the Time Travelor's Wife on an audiobook downloaded onto my iPod. But on the way home:

5) I bought the world's most expensive Starbucks Grande Non-fat, No Whip Mocha
Sure the mocha only cost me $3.80, it was the new iPhone I got because of the mocha that cost me a bundle. I know, I know, I lost you. Let's just say that spilled mochas and Blackberry's don't mix very well. It's sure not like those old Reeses commercials where peanut butter and chocolate collide. Nothing wonderful happens, in fact just the opposite. At first I lost all ability to text and check email (Oh, the horror!!!) and trooper that I am I simply thought "Okay, I don't really need to send text messages." But when my phone started spontaneously making calls on it's own somewhere in Kentucky and I couldn't figure out how to end the call other than taking out the battery, I knew I needed a new phone. Sure, a possessed cell phone is great to have a parties and all but it's not very practical for real life.

So I got my latest toy, which is not actually shown here. This is someone else's iPhone. And mine's not Cingular-- in fact, is there even a Cingular anymore??? Man, that's an old photo! My iPhone is much cooler looking and has my new favorite Application button for:

Who knew watching videos on your phone could be so fun??? From Jon and Kate Plus 8 parodies to Lost videos, one thing just lead to another and before I knew it I was searching for things I never would have searched for before on my laptop. And it lead to my newest obsession:

6) Watching Korean Dramas

Yes people, Denise did go off the deep end without her laptop.

Back when I was sequestered in an apartment/hotel room in Hanoi, Vietnam with a 4 year old and a 3 month old, I discovered the Korean channel on my tv and toward the end of my extended stay I became acquainted and enamoured with Korean dramas. I have no idea what prompted the idea to search for them on YouTube, but obviously I did and before I knew it I found a series for Korea's latest and hottest drama that was shown on KBS from January to March of this year.

Boys Over Flowers

But that's not how I found it listed as. It's listed as "Love Story" on YouTube where you too can find it and watch it in Korean with English subtitles. The only thing is that all 25 episodes are really about 60 minutes in real life, obviously too long for a You Tube video so it's broken up into 6-10 minute segments. I'm currently beginning Love Story Episode 4-1 so I guess I have a way to go before I finish. But that's okay, with no new Lost episodes for another 6 months I need something to keep my occupied. If I have somehow inspired you search for Love Story 1-1 Korean Drama. Keep in mind 1-1 is a bit on the slow side but it really picks up after that!

So, that's what I've been up to. What about you???

26 comments:

Heather said...

Yay! You are back! I have missed your blogging.

The Johnson 5 said...

I'm glad your settled back into the internet world!

You go girl with the I PHONE!! I don't know what they do but they look fancy!!

Lorie said...

Welcome Back Denise,.........I missed you....I too have practically fallen off the face of the earth..thank goodness w/ no fault of a broken laptop.
Can't wait to read more.

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness....I'm exhausted from hearing about what you've been doing! Glad you're back!

Glen and Andrea said...

The bowl/tattoo thing... shoot you're funny! Great to have you back posting.

Jolene said...

Wow that dried up toad is gross, and that armoire really is huuuuuuge!

Unknown said...

Welcome back...sounds like a busy time

How is the hair holding up??

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Glad you're back...you've been missed. And glad all is well and you remembered how to blog!

And you'll be glad to know that it's Sunday and I don't have my Tuesday post done yet!

Teresa =) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa =) said...

Me?? I have been FREAKING OUT without you!! I didn't realize how many times a day I check your blog until I checked for a week and a half and you weren't there. I'm OK now...thanks for asking.

Five more days until my fundraiser ends...I'll be needing your help with that random number generator thingie.

Glad you're back!!

Teresa =)

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hmmmm, I was just wondering whether to hijack your blog to post to all your bloggy friends/followers that we may need to take matters into our own hands and form a SEARCH PARTY for Denise!

Welcome back! LOVE the Mannered Gold in your room.

~Isabel said...

SO happy you're back!

Love, love your bedroom!

Kristy said...

Welcome back Denise....you crack me up! Your bedroom is gorgeous and I love love love that armoire, it looks perfect!!!! And for that iphone, my husband Frank has one and all of us, I said ALL of us are obsessed with the Moron test!!!

Love, Kristy

Crystal Oh said...

DENISE, YOU'RE BACK!!!

I missed you and the laughter you provide me with!

Which you just did with your end section of your post! Korean dramas? You are soooo funny! Anthony (my fiance) is 1/2 Korean (1/2 Mexican) so I have seen a few of these..you're so funny!

So glad to have you back!

Anonymous said...

OK, the dead dried-up toad is DISGUSTING. Really, really gross. Though sometimes I would love to be able to just shove them out the door, I'm glad that my children don't go outside by themselves yet after seeing that.

Brandy said...

I'm so glad you're back! You should never, ever leave us like that again.

Even if there is a dead toad that needs your attention.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I can't imagine being off line for so long. Or if I was that I would be compelled to do that much cleaning. My car really does need some attention. I am working on the plan that I just get a new one :-)

Unknown said...

I read this .......and never commented...oops. I think I should take an internet break, but now I have my iPhone too............so fearing I'll never be away.
Good to see you back, you were so missed.
The bedroom looks very cozy......if only you got to sleep in there alone on occasion.

April said...

looks like you've had a great couple of weeks :-D

i started a new blog - come by and check it out!!! http://www.MamaMustHaves.com

Tuyen said...

Oh Boys Before Flowers! I love this drama....it was original from Japan........but i like the Korean version best : D (now they also have Taiwan and China version)

this drama is now the hottest drama in Vietnam

The Fab 5 said...

come back come back where ever you are????? I so miss your blogging came back please. you always help make my life feel normal

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

WHERE oh WHERE has my Denise Gone...she has gone away...

Brandy said...

Okay you win. I finally admit you have proven there is life without the internets.

Now get your bootay back here!

The Blonde Duck said...

I popped in from Three Bay Chicks to say hi!

Mei Mei s and Mayhem said...

Glad you are back to the internet world.

That frog is gross!!

Cant wait to see the bowl and what your tattoo will look like! :-)

Having fun catching up in the blogging world it has been a long time.

Heather said...

It's July 17! Did you fall off the face of the Earth again? Where are you?