Monday, May 4, 2009

Moody Monday or in this case Moody Momma

Hi, I'm Denise and I'm a slacker. Yep, there's no denying it. I was supposed to have a blog post up this morning as part of a new theme week that I'm doing with Brandy's Squared. Say what? Brandy at I'm Not Your Average Soccer Mom and Brandy at The Buzz asked me if I wanted to be part of a theme week with them and I've nicknamed them Brandy Squared. I'd put that little 2 in because that would be totally cool, but I'm too tired to try to figure it out.

Today's theme is Moody Monday. When I heard the topic I thought, Hmm, I wonder what I'll do it on. Even last night (when I should have blogging but I've become a slacker, remember?) I wasn't sure what to post about. Leave it to Emma to help me out. What a sweet girl.

Yesterday was a fun day which I have to blog about and fit into a theme this week-- food for thought. Because of all the fun we had, Emma missed her nap. Not good. Emma needs her nap. Ryan missed his nap too but Ryan doesn't own any personal apparel with the words "Drama Queen" emblazoned on them so he was much more low key about the whole thing. Come to think of it, Emma doesn't own any such apparel either. {Note to self: Get Emma a Drama Queen shirt} But that didn't stop her from letting the world know she wasn't happy, well at least our house. For an hour Emma screamed and cried and carried on. She threw herself backwards onto the floor, bit her lip when we put her in her baby bed to see if she would just take a nap. Finally, I got her settled down but not before she cleared out most of the house. Everyone else scattered to the far corners of the earth. Lucky people. How did I get her to settle down? By the good ole' standby:

Baby Crack. Gotta love it. In the literal push and pull of the hour long fit, Emma wanted her clothes off/wanted her clothes on and in the end she was nakey, except for her diaper and her socks. Towards the end of YGG I found her, now sitting on a chair in front of the tv.

Yep, she went to sleep. It was now about 5:30 and I predicted that this would end badly, which it did, but not at first.

She woke up about 7:30, was fairly happy and I finally got her to go to bed (with me) around midnight. And then she was up at 2:30 screaming and crying. This is her new thing. A few nights a week she wakes up between 12-3 and cries and screams for an hour and then settles down. I have suspected she's having night terrors. But the last two times this has happened, towards the end of her fit she sounded a little wheezy, so we troop downstairs to get a breathing treatment. At 3:00 am. Fun times. Especially when this is involved.

Can't I even escape it in my dreams? Oh yeah, I'm not having dreams because Emma won't sleep. But the funny thing is that when I put her mask up to her face, she holds onto it and keeps it on her face. And when she's done, she's not crying anymore. But she's also wide awake. Finally about 4:30 I said "Enough. It's time for bed." I took her to bed with me where she proceed to fuss and I kept saying firmly "No, it's time for bed."

Have you ever slept with someone laying on top of you, wiggling around, jabbing elbows in your body, smothering your face, climbing on your hair? No? You have no idea what you're missing out on. This went on for about an hour or so, I really couldn't tell you. I dozed but I kept worrying she was going to fall off of me and off the bed. Finally, desperate for some sleep, I turned on the Disney channel. At some point she got out of bed to watch. I kept waking up to check on her although she was trapped closed in my room. At 6:30 I woke up to find her laying next to me. Apparently, Emma puts herself to bed now. What does she need me for?

And me? Now that Emma was finally asleep I got a good quality 30 minutes of sleep before it was time to get up. And you wonder why I'm moody? It didn't help that Ross didn't want to wake up this morning and even tried to tell me how tired he was. Yeah, bad idea Ross. Bad idea. Can you say Verbal Tongue Lashing? I think Ross might be moody too.

Emma's up now, continuing her reign of terror, antagonizing Ryan and proclaiming her tyranny across the land, or at least our house. Momma needs a nap.


20 comments:

Dawna said...

I can so relate! Hang tight, it'll pass.

Geeta said...

I love the way you talk about every day occurrences. Oh baby.

Denise Grover Swank said...

Geeta, if some greater good can come from all this trouble then I guess all the trauma is worth the entertainment to the masses. Or not.

Kristin said...

Oh no! I feel for you Denise! I say close yourselves up in your room, turn on YGG and take yourself a nap! I'm exhausted just thinking about your night!

Brandy said...

Yes Momma does need a nap. Next time take Emma into Ross's room and lock the door from the other side. And then let him complain about being tired.

Megan said...

Oh yeah. I'd be beyond moody, too! lol Hope you're able to sneak in a nap today!

The Royal Family said...

Brandy squared, I laughed. I must agree YGG is a lifesaver at my house it can stop NEARLY any fit even though that DJ is completely obnoxious. Hope you get a nap. HA HA

Denise Grover Swank said...

Brandy your plan is pure evil. I like it!

Unknown said...

You are sure having more than you share of sleep problems, poor Emma and Denise. I hope she is back on track soon.
I personally like Brandy's idea too.

Debbie said...

But don't they look so cute and innocent when they sleep? She's adorable...Sorry she's being callenging. You're taking it like a pro.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

That Emma...she's a giver. Just when you think you've got nothing write about she gives and gives and gives some more.

Love the pic of her zonked out on the chair!

I realize that I'm writing this just as Emma and Ryan's naptime is over...I hope you slept when they did!

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

Brandy squared... LOL!

I completely feel for you. YGG just freaks me out though. Glad my kiddos are past that age.

Janelle said...

Ah, good times! I think I can help you with your squaring. I believe the code is "sup;" however, you can't use that code in a comment, so you're on your own to test it! :)

Kristin said...

Oh my. What will Emma come up with next? I hope today is better. :-)

Tricia said...

You have every right to be a cranky mommy. I need my sleep. I know Eric is not looking forward to my moods when Lydda comes home and takes more sleep away.
Question, how do you do the cross out through words? I can not figure it out.
Thanks and get some sleep,
Tricia
http://thejoysofmommy.blogspot.com

mommy4life said...

I can so identify. Our youngest has issues at night frequently and we went thru the whole breathing treatment thing with our second.

mommakin said...

Oh boy. You need a vacation.

Shari U said...

I don't believe a word of it. That sweet little girl in the diaper and socks, sleeping peacefully in her chair? She looks to me like an angel. But seriously, trying to sleep with a screaming baby on top of you...yeah, been there, done that and thankfully she's now in kindergarten. And let me add...that same kindergartener...she's been in bed with us for 5.5 years, she now thinks she's big enough to go to bed in her own room. I've bribed her with $1.00 per night for every night that she at least falls asleep in her own bed. She has a little piggy bank she's carrying around with 7 one dollar bills in it!!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I am hoping that you are not doing a Tuesday blog post because SOME HOW, SOME WAY you have found a way to grab a nap! I know this is fantasy on so many levels Denise...but I am wishing that a nap came your way!

Dorie said...

Emma is just precious!!