Wednesday, October 28, 2009

More Bible History With Jenna

We went to church tonight (they had brisket, thank you very much), which meant that Jenna, my first grader, went to her bible class.  Jenna came running to me after class was over to show me her treasure:  a Nigerian coin given to her and the other children by a man who spoke to their class.  On the way home, I asked Jenna some questions.

"Was the man a missionary?"  I asked.

"Huh?"  This obviously stumped her.  "He was somewhere where they have houses made from mud and straw."

Since her coin was Nigerian I suggested perhaps it was Africa. She agreed that it might have been.  "What did he say?"  I asked.

"You know when Jesus sailed around on a boat with 11 guys and tested them?  Yeah, he was with them."

"The man was on a boat with Jesus?"

"Yeah, he was on a boat with Jesus and they sailed around for about a year and then Jesus told them to go heal people."

"Jenna, Jesus lived about 2000 years ago.  Did this guy look really old?"

"No, he looked kind of young."

"But he sailed around with Jesus?"

"Yeah, for a year with those 11 guys."

"What 11 guys?"

Jenna was becoming very frustrated with 20 questions.  "You know, the 11 guys."

"The apostles?"

"Yeah, them."

"And they were tested?  How were they tested?  Did they do math tests?  Spelling tests?"

"Mom!"  I had gone too far with that one.  "Don't you know this story?"

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out a story with Jesus testing 11 guys on a boat for a year.  Nothing came to mind.  I decided it might be better to let this one go and covertly call my sister-in-law Janne' in the morning to find out what my nephews told her.

"So this guy was with Jesus?"

"Yeah, but he's retired now."

"Who? Jesus?"

"No! The guy."

"Wow,"  I said. "I'd really like to meet somebody who sailed with Jesus for a year.  I'd like to shake his hand but I probably better not."

"Why not?"  Jenna asked.

"Well, if I shook his hand it might fall off considering he's over 2000 years old.  He's probably not in very good shape."

"Oh, Mom!"

I'll be lucky if she ever shares another bible lesson with me again.

7 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

How sweet!
sandy toe

Heather said...

We skipped last night. Maybe I'll just have the girls read this "cliff notes" version ;)

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love how our children decide what they hear...vs what was actually said!

Teresa said...

Personally, I think Jenna oughta TEACH Bible studies. While her facts may not be accurate, it would sure make for an amusing classroom experience! HYSTERICAL!!

Teresa =)

P.S. Come visit my new blog...www.blogbyteresa.blogspot.com. I'm lonely and need more Followers!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hmmmmm, well there are most certainly some facts IN THERE somewhere? I'd like to meet this guy!

Brandy said...

Sounds like she remembered the first part and then they handed out the coins & it went downhill from there.

How was the brisket?

Crystal Oh said...

These bibles lessons crack me up!