Sunday, April 27, 2008

Minivan Momma

You think I would have learned by now. With age comes wisdom and I have learned that that wisdom is usually hard learned. So you think I would have learned to never say "I'll never...." fill in the the dots with whatever you like.

A lifetime ago I was a histologist. I worked in a lab and made microscopic slides of tissue specimens from surgery. I actually enjoyed this job, just not the stress that seems to come with any hospital based career and when I finally quit in frustration I foolheartedly said "I will never work in histology again!" Silly girl. It only took about 2 years to make a liar out of me. I quit and went back to school and became a liar yet again in Tulsa when I was actually the supervisor. Talk about stressful.

Kids will also teach you not to say "Never." You can always spot a first time mom or someone who doesn't have children when they spout off "My child will/would never do that." That's the great thing about kids. They'll make a liar out of you every time. So you'll not be hearing me say (notice I didn't say "never") "My child will never be an ax murder." I mean, no sense tempting fate.

So, back when I turned 39 and was starting my midlife crisis (Ha! My midlife crisis was adopting a baby from China! LOL) I decided I was done, DONE with minivans. I think I had driven one most of my adult life. So my wonderful husband Darrell knew that I had always wanted a convertible and traded in our minivan for a Chrysler Sebring convertible. It was a gorgeous car! I swore I would NEVER drive a minivan again!!!! And when I realized how impractical a convertible was with a 16 month old child I soon began to drive a Ford Expedition.

I loved my Ford Expedition, in fact I loved it so much I had 2. But all good things must come to an end. I think everyone around me, namely my children, were incredibly tired of hearing me complain about the lack of storage in the back of the Expedition. It only got worse once I came home with Emma. The stroller didn't really fit in the back and when I did get it crammed in there when I opened up the door the stroller would promptly fall out on top of me. I really couldn't for see spending the next 4 years living like that. And we won't even go into the gas mileage issue. (You act like 11 miles to the gallon is a bad thing!)

So last week I did some research and realized that I needed a Honda Odyssey. On Thursday I braved the barracudas and come home with this:



I am a proud owner of a 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring. This is the girls, along with Julia's friend Anna, checking it out right after I came home. The girls absolutely love it. The boys, well, let's say they are adjusting. You know nothing says your mom is uncool like a minivan!

They'll get over it.

No comments: